The decision to put a beloved pet to sleep is something we dont take lightly. We know that a home euthanasia can be a kind and dignified send off for your pet. We encourage owners to take an active approach and decide when they want to send their pet off. Whilst the time is different for every person the process of making the decision is the same. Waiting until your pet cannot walk or is in extreme pain is unfair and not a dignified way for them to be remembered and unfair for them to have to endure. Some useful signs include, pain on a daily basis that is not controlled by pain medications, not enjoying life, having more bad days than good ones. These are some indications and we have listed more below. We are here to help guide you through this process and if you’re not sure if its time call us to discuss and we are more than happy to do a home consultation to check the quality of life of your dog and help you through this difficult time.
Signs to look for that your dog is in pain include but are not limited to
- not wanting to get out of bed
- struggling to get up from lying down
- limping or not wanting to walk
- not eating at all or reduced food intake
- drinking more than normal or not drinking
- agitated and not as active as usual
- sleeping more than normal
- yelping, crying or growling
- sensitive to touch or resents normal handling.
- grumpy and snapping at you.
- rapid or shallow breathing
- increased heart rate.
- shortness of breath.
- excessive coughing
- more bad days than good days
- unaware of environment
- getting stuck in corners or lost in the yard
It can be a distressing time being the decision maker, we dont get to make this choice with humans and therefore it can be a unique and hard time for people. We are experts in this area so please call us for help at any time